Leica M Monochrom Digital Camera
Bringing the new digital age of photography back to its roots, Leica has finally made it possible to capture authentic 'true' black and white digital photographs with the creation of the M Monochrom Digital Camera.
- 18MP Monochrome CCD Sensor
- 2.5" TFT LCD Display
- Leica M Bayonet Mount
- Minimalist Design - No Red Leica Logo
- New Leatherette Body Covering
- SD/SDHC Memory Card Slot
- Bright-Line Frame Viewfinder
- DNG (RAW) + JPEG Formats
- Maximum ISO 10000
- Silver Efex Pro / Adobe Lightroom Download Included
Bringing the new digital age of photography back to its roots, Leica has finally made it possible to capture authentic 'true' black and white digital photographs with the creation of the M Monochrom Digital Camera. For years Leica fans had sought such a combination of modern digital technology and traditional Leica black and white photography. Well, they will be happy to finally see a dedicated 35mm black and white digital camera released by the pioneering manufacturer. Its CCD sensor makes no compromises and ignores all color data whatsoever--every pixel records pure luminance values. As a result, it delivers authentic black-and-white images that do not need to be converted or processed in order to achieve sharp monochrome photographs.
In order to allow precise control of the monochromatic tonal values, the M Monochrom offers a raw data histogram, shown on its 2.5" display, which presents you with the original, unprocessed and unmodified RAW image data. This, when combined with the configurable clipping display, allows precise correction of your potential exposures in-camera, before you've even captured the image.
Once you've captured your genuine black and white image, at just the touch of a button they can be converted with characteristic toning effects from black-and-white film photography, including: sepia, cold, or selenium toning. All you need to do is save the image in JPEG format and select the desired effect. You can simply convert your images with no need for post-processing, another convenient in-camera feature that allows you to stay in the field shooting, rather than at the computer editing--and who wouldn't enjoy that?
Continuing to embody the classic themes of traditional black and white photography, the iconic design of Leica M-cameras is carried forward by the Leica M Monochrom. With a matte-black finish on the chromed top deck, it allows the camera to be an unobtrusive tool--so you can capture candid moments discreetly. Even the red Leica logo is missing, and only an engraved script on the accessory shoe reveals the product name at all. The camera features a particularly soft leather trim that provides an ideal grip, perfectly complementing the camera's understated character. The camera package also includes a genuine leather carrying strap in premium full-grain cowhide.
Although the camera offers plenty of in-camera adjustments and alterations, the M Monochrom is supplied complete with a professional digital workflow solution: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and a full-version of Silver Efex Pro 2, the world's leading black-and-white image processing software. This software bundle is available to customers as an online download after product registration with Leica. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom offers a wide range of functions for the management, processing and presentation of digital images. For example, this software allows for the creation of simple print layouts, slide shows and photo books. Silver Efex Pro 2 offers an impressive collection of unique and powerful, darkroom-inspired tools for the creation of high quality black-and-white images.
Once your true black and white photographs have been captured and edited, Leica goes on to offer you a unique service, in collaboration with Whitewall, for the production of high-quality black-and-white prints. After registering their Leica M Monochrom online, customers can have their digital images from the M Monochrom printed on premium-quality baryte paper, ordered from Whitewall through a personal link. Thanks to development in the classical wet-chemical silver halide process, the prints are hardly distinguishable from their analogue counterparts printed from negatives.
Keeping in line with their renowned commitment to extreme system compatibility, almost all lenses of the Leica M range can still be used on the M Monochrom digital camera. From photojournalism and available light photography to discreet, artistically aesthetic, creative compositions, the Leica M Monochrom adapts to every application and enables the expression of your personal photographic style. The enormous potential performance of the current M-Lens portfolio, with focal lengths from 16 to 135mm, is also fully accessible.
The M Monochrom also utilizes the popular M system's intuitive and discreet handling. Its manual and aperture priority exposure modes are built-in to aid photographers and their creative freedom. In combination with the 2.5" monitor display on the back of the camera, rapid access to the entire range of camera functions is achieved via simple menu navigation, and everything is just a few clicks away. The camera's almost silent shutter, together with its compact construction, benefits discreet and unobtrusive photographers who seek to capture natural, candid moments without interfering. Photographers even have the option to select the appropriate moment for re-cocking the shutter. When longer exposure times require an extremely steady camera stance, a slight press on the shutter release button in 'soft release' mode is all that is required.
All functions of the Leica M Monochrom are constructed with durability and long life in mind. Its full-metal housing, constructed from a single piece of high-strength magnesium alloy, and the top deck and bottom plate machined from solid brass blanks, both combine to provide perfect protection for its precious inner mechanisms. The digital components and shutter assembly of the M Monochrom are similarly constructed for a lifetime of endurance. This provides you with solid reliability over decades of use.
- Newly Developed Monochrome CCD Sensor
- With its full, native resolution of 18 megapixels, the Leica M Monochrom delivers sharper images than is made by color sensors. The fact that its sensor does not "see" color means only real brightness values are available for each individual pixel, and they record a black-and-white image directly. In combination with the brilliant imaging performance of Leica lenses and the perfect matching of the sensor to the M system, this creates pictures of outstanding sharpness and natural brilliance. The impressively low noise level of the monochrome CCD sensor also delivers an extremely fine-grained image, which is quite usable even at the highest ISO settings without disturbing noise levels.
- Raw Data Histogram and Parameter Clipping Warning
- For discerning users and fine-art photographers, a raw data histogram for exact control of tonal values is available on the digital LCD display. In contrast to standard histograms, it depicts the actual raw data, unprocessed or compressed. This, in combination with the parameter clipping view, enables exposures to be optimized with great precision in order to accurately utilize the available dynamic range.
- In-Camera Tone Changes
- With the M Monochrom images can be adjusted to the characteristic tones of analog black-and-white photography at the press of a button--whether sepia, cool or selenium.
- Classic Leica Design
- The classic, iconic Leica M camera design is carried through in the Leica M Monochrom. The matte black chrome-finish of the top cover leaves the camera discrete and unassuming, while an engraving on the black accessory shoe reveals the product name. The soft, tactile leatherette body covering also keeps with the overall discrete look. The camera also comes with a real-leather carrying strap made of high-grade cowhide, and additionally there is a new handgrip available, featured with the same black chrome finish and leather trim as the camera.
- Silver Efex Pro and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- A full version of the world's leading black-and-white image processing software, Silver Efex Pro 2, is supplied as a free download along with a copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. Silver Efex Pro 2 incorporates a unique and powerful set of darkroom-inspired tools to maximize the quality of monochrome prints produced by the M Monochrom. Silver Efex Pro 2 emulates over 20 different black and white film types to recreate the classic monochrome look of film. The emulation is based on detailed analysis of multiple rolls of each film type. This results in accurate reproductions of popular film from ISO 32 to ISO 3200.
- Leica Monochrom prints
- For passionate black-and-white photographers looking to retain the accustomed brilliance and quality of their images in print, Leica offers a unique service. In cooperation with the photo processing lab Whitewall, the Leica Monochrom Print Service enables M Monochrom customers to obtain superb black-and-white prints of their work. This involves developing the digital images from the Leica M Monochrom on genuine fiber barite photographic paper. Thanks to use of the classic wet-chemistry silver process, the developed prints are indistinguishable from hand-made prints of analog images. Customers looking to utilize this exclusive service can order prints directly from Whitewall after registering their M Monochrom. This service is initially only available to Leica M Monochrom customers.
In The Box
In The Box
- 100 - 240 V Charger
- 2 x AC Power Cables (EU, USA)
- DC Vehicle Charging Cable
- Lithium-Ion Battery
- USB Cable
- All-Cowhide Carrying Strap
- Leica Monochrom Print from Campaign
- Photoshop Lightroom 4 Software For Mac And Windows (Boxed Full Version)
- Silver Efex Pro 2 Software
|Lens Mount||Leica M Mount|
|Sensor Type / Size||CCD, 23.9 x 35.8 mm 1|
|Memory Card Type||SD (up to 2GB)
SDHC (up to 32GB)
|Focus Mode||Manual Focus (M)|
|Viewfinder Type||LCD Display|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.68x|
|Diopter Adjustment||- 3.0 to +3.0 m|
|Display Screen||2.5" Rear Screen LCD (230000)|
Speed: 32 - 1/4000 sec
|Metering Method||Center-weighted average metering|
|Exposure Modes||Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual
Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 0.33 EV steps)
|White Balance Modes||Auto, Kelvin, Manual, Preset Manual|
|Max Sync Speed||1 / 180 sec|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Self Timer||2 sec, 12 sec|
|Software Requirements||Windows: XP (SP2), Vista (SP2), 7
Mac: OS X 10.6 or later
|Battery||1x Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 3.7VDC, 1900mAh|
0 to 40 °C
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||13.97 x 8.13 x 3.81 cm|
*Take Note: Lens Not Included
PRODUCT WARRANTY INFORMATION
1. What warranty comes with the goods purchased ?
All products sold by Orms are covered by a minimum of a one year local warranty, reckoned from the date of purchase, to protect you against manufacturing defects.
Canon cameras including IXUS, PowerShot and EOS are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty.
Canon video cameras including Legria and X-series are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty.
Nikon compacts excluding the Coolpix P900 are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty.
Nikon DSLR's including the CoolPix P900 and are covered by a full 2 Year Warranty.
Fujifilm cameras are covered by a 2 Year Warranty.
SIGMA & TAMRON LENSES
Sigma and Tamron products are covered by a 3 Year Warranty.
LEXAR & SANDISK MEMORY CARDS
Lexar and Sandisk memory cards are covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Lowepro's Limited Original Owner Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship during the useful life of the product. The warranty does not cover damage caused by improper care.
USED GEAR PURCHASED FROM ORMS
All used gear sold by ORMS is supplied with a 6 Month Warranty.
2. My product has gone faulty, now what ?
Please contact our service division straight away on 021 - 469 1962 and notify them of the fault. You may also e-mail them at email@example.com
1. If a product is defective / faulty, ORMS will replace the product within a 10 day period deemed from the date of receiving the product. ORMS will also cover the shipping costs within the borders of South Africa.
2. During the warranty period, Orms will arrange collection of the faulty item, facilitate the repair and then ship the product back to the customer, bearing all risks and costs.
Orms is not obliged to repair products that fall outside of the manufacturers warranty period, or products that are damaged accidentally, however Orms in seeking to deliver the highest standard of customer service will gladly assist the customer in having the product repaired via the network of repair agents with which Orms has business dealings.
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R1 000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
- The delivery time to city areas is usually between 2 and 4 working days*. This excludes weekends and public holidays.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed.
2. Aramex Courier Service (local)
We use Aramex couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
With sophisticated track and trace equipment, you can pinpoint exactly where your parcel is, from the moment it is dispatched by us, until it's safely handed over to you the recipient.
Your parcel is well packaged and bubble wrapped before delivery. We also fully insure your parcels contents for the journey to your door.
We charge a flat-rate for shipping and the charges are per order.
- Express Shipping to Main Cities @ R 150.00 incl. VAT (ETA of 1-2 Business Days)* - Main Cities are: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London. Other cities/towns will take more than 1-2 delivery time.
- Standard Shipping @ R 80.00 incl. VAT (ETA of 2-4 Business Days)* - To all areas.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed. This period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. The base price of R80.00 incl. VAT is for a parcel up to 10kg in Volumetric and Physical weight. Should the item/s exceed this weight, we reserve the right to increase the shipping charge accordingly.
Please Note: The above prices quoted are for ordering online through the ORMSdirect website only. A different rate will be quoted if handled manually through our camera sales department. Our delivery service only runs from Monday to Friday. Saturday morning deliveries can be done by special arrangement only and at an additional charge. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange. We reserve the right to re-quote the delivery fee should this become too expensive.
3. DHL Express Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
Orms is not responsible for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please consult with your local government import office.
Privacy: Your privacy is important to us. We strive to exceed your expectations for privacy. Cross-border shipments are subject to inspection by customs authorities. We may also be called upon to provide certain order, shipment, and product information to our international carriers. Carriers may communicate such information to customs authorities for the purpose of facilitating customs clearance and compliance with local laws.
International shipments are quoted on a per order basis depending on the size and weight of the parcel shipped.
4. Collect & Collect from Orms Shop in Cape Town / Bellville
You are welcome to place your order online, pay for it and collect it from our Cape Town or Bellville branches. You will need to bring in a print out of the order for collection. Please ask for online sales on arrival.
Orms Shop - Cape Town
Shop 5, Roeland Square
Upper Canterbury Street
Gardens, Cape Town, 8001