Sony FDR-AX53 4K Ultra HD Handycam Camcorder
The Sony FDR AX53 4k Ultra HD is a compact handycam that’s packed with exciting capabilities featuring a similar design of the predecessor AX33 but with more enhanced features and an improved performance system.
The Sony FDR AX53 4k Ultra HD features a blistering 16.6MP when taking stills and also supports 4K Ultra HD recording at 24/30p with an improved 26.8mm wide-angle & 20x optical ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens that delivers absolute clear, colour vivid and crisp images thanks to its amazing Exmor R CMOS sensor that contributes to achieve this impressive performance, 3.0-inch LCD touch screen to have better control over the settings, 4K time-lapse capture and a 5.1ch surround sound microphone. Additionally, the big advantage to this camcorder is the 5-axis balanced Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization that helps to achieve better smooth recording footage throughout its zoom range.
- 4K Ultra HD 24/30p & 16.6MP Stills
- Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- 26.8mm Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* Zoom Lens
- 20x Optical Zoom & 40x Clear Image Zoom
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot
- Fast Intelligent AF High Speed 120 fps Recording
- 3.0" LCD Touchscreen / 0.24" Color EVF
- 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Microphone
- Wi-Fi / NFC Connectivity
1 Other customers have inquired about this product
4K image quality
Shoot 4K footage with the AX53 4K handycam from Sony that contains about four times more detail than Full HD (3840 x 2160 pixels vs. 1920 x 1080) footage, and capture more of the incredible qualities that bring images to vibrant life.
New image sensor exclusively for 4K
A newly developed image sensor from Sony, with pixels of approximately 1.6 times bigger size, offers superior sensitivity for capturing beautiful high-quality images with less noise under dark as well as bright shooting conditions.
New ZEISS™ Vario-Sonnar T* lens for 4K
This new lens helps to depict remarkable details of high-quality 4K images throughout its wide-angle-to-telephoto range. The use of an AA (advanced aspherical) lens not only keeps depiction faithful — it also keeps the lens unit compact. ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens helps to ensure accurate reproduction of colour. Multilayer ZEISS T* Coating further enhances image quality by reducing unwanted reflection, such as ghost and flare.
Up to 26.8mm wide-angle lens
Whether you’re shooting movies or still images, the class-leading wide-angle lens can help you capture more of landscapes and indoor scenes, when you don’t have enough room to step back. Even without a wide conversion lens, the camcorder shoots as wide as 26.8mm (16:9 aspect ratio) in movie mode.
Balanced Optical SteadyShot™
Advanced image stabilisation suppresses camera shake to stabilise a movie as it is being shot within the wide-angle-to-telephoto zoom range. In HD shooting mode, it further reduces effects of camera shake even under unstable conditions with 5-axis Intelligent Active mode compensating for vibration in five different directions, so you can shoot stable high-quality movies even while running.
Rapid AF response to capture decisive moments
Fast Intelligent AF achieves very speedy, accurate contrast-detection autofocus by minimising lens motion, predicting the AF range, and accelerating lens drive, thereby improving response so you can capture more fleeting moments.
Extensive zoom shooting capabilities
20x optical zoom lens and Clear Image Zoom of 30x/40x (for 4K/HD) allow you to shoot faraway subjects and capture memorable moments.
Realistic recording of voices, music and other sound
Its new structural design enables the microphone to gather, from five directions, clearer sound with approx. 40% less noise and twice as effective 2ch stereo (for XAVC S shooting) and three times as effective 5.1ch surround (for AVCHD shooting) sound performance. This makes it possible to faithfully reproduce audio with clearly defined separation.
High Speed REC in Full HD for high-quality slow motion
Shoot in Full HD at 100fps (NTSC/PAL), edit the footage after shooting, and the resulting slow-motion images of the movie will look startlingly smooth and sharp in playback. This is excellent for reviewing, in greater slow-motion detail, sports and everyday action that can occur too quickly in real time for you to see clearly.
4K Time-lapse Capture
You can capture 4K size still images continuously over an extensive period of time at a selected constant interval from each shot to the next, edit the entire sequence of still images in post-production, and enjoy playback of that series of images as a time-lapse movie.
Super-sampled Full HD playback
Enhance your viewing experience even without a 4K television. Using super-sampling, the camera automatically down-converts 4K footage to exceptionally detailed Full HD.
You can select a specific portion of the picture and play it back in Full HD, thanks to 4K high resolution. Also, you can change trimming size with the zoom lever or on-screen display icon.
Advanced shooting features
Enjoy total customisation with ergonomic manual controls. Use the intuitive multi-purpose manual ring to adjust zoom, focus, exposure, IRIS, shutter speed, AE shift, or white balance shift mode after using the manual button to select the mode. The electronic viewfinder offers accurate image preview.
Time Code / User Bit
Time Code and User Bit can be added to movies as data elements. Time Code function records hours/minutes/seconds/frames on image data for precise advanced video editing. User Bit function records information such as date/time/scene number, etc. in eight-digit arbitrary numbers, and is useful for editing movies using two or more cameras.
Exceptional image quality
By employing XAVC S format, which was developed from the XAVC format for professional use, 4K 100Mbps and Full HD 50Mbps high-bitrate recording realise incredibly high-quality images. Yet, XAVC S data is compressed so that it is more manageable for general consumers.
Superb night shooting
This feature uses infrared light to take images even in complete darkness. By using NIGHTSHOT, parents can easily capture children’s cute sleeping faces.
Face Detection and Smile Shutter
Use Face Detection to optimise focus, exposure and colour for people who are the most important subject of a shot. You can prioritise a subject’s face by touching it on the LCD. And with Smile Shutter, the camera can also automatically capture still shots of great (but fleeting) smiles, even while recording movies.
Enhances the tracking of moving subjects by using the optimal AF point at all times and adjusting the target frame size to match your subject’s characteristics. Just touch the subject on LCD to lock on fast-moving targets precisely for shooting.
Analyse your swing with no need for fancy equipment. Golf Shot mode lets you capture video and stills of each step of your swing.
5.1ch surround sound microphone
Record clear sound that accurately captures the atmosphere of the scene and enjoy surround sound playback on your home theatre system. Level meters on the LCD panel provide visual monitoring of each channel’s levels.
My Voice Cancelling
Reduce the intensity of the voice of a user shooting from close behind the camera, whether the user is talking to subjects or cheering them on.
Motion Shot Video
This convenient feature allows playback of a dramatic sequence of superimposed images to trace every split second of action, a powerful tool for analysing sports motion on screen. During playback, you can adjust the interval between images, or pause to capture still images to share with friends.
Highlight Movie Maker
A versatile function to streamline movie editing, Highlight Movie Maker offers several time-saving features. Add highlight points to key moments while recording, and let the camcorder automatically sync movie transitions to your chosen soundtrack.
Dual Video Recording
Record two movies at the same time — one in the maximum-quality XAVC S or AVCHD format and another in MP4 format. That way you’ve got a small file ready for instant sharing, plus a professional-grade file for further editing.
Live Streaming via USTREAM®
From performances to sports events, some things are best seen in real time. Share scenes as they happen with high-quality picture and sound.
Multi Camera Control
More shots mean more editing opportunities. Easily record footage from a variety of angles, whether using cameras mounted directly to the Handycam® or triggered wirelessly. Multi Camera Control makes it easy to sync shooting settings on compatible Wi-Fi connected devices.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and One-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Xtra Fine LCD with WhiteMagic™
The high-precision Xtra Fine LCD features a WhiteMagic display that uses white pixels in addition to RGB pixels to boost screen brightness, allowing users to see subtle details and tones on the screen in all types of shooting environments, including outdoors in bright sunlight.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
- Sony FDR-AX53 4K Ultra HD Handycam Camcorder
- NP-FV70 V-Series Rechargeable Battery Pack (1960mAh, 6.8-8.4V)
- AC Adapter
- Power Cord
- Micro-HDMI Cable
- Micro-USB Cable
- SENSOR TYPE
- 1/2.5 type(7.20mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- EFFECTIVE PIXELS (VIDEO)
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9)
- EFFECTIVE PIXELS (STILL IMAGE)
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9)/approx. 6.22 Megapixels(4:3)
- IMAGE PROCESSOR
- BIONZ X image processor
- LENS TYPE
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*
- FILTER DIAMETER
- LENS COVER
- FOCAL DISTANCE
- FOCAL LENGTH (35MM EQUIVALENT) (VIDEO)
- FOCAL LENGTH (35MM EQUIVALENT) (STILL IMAGE)
- f=26.8-536.0mm(16:9) f=32.8-656.0mm(4:3)
- MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE
- approx.1cm(Wide), approx.80cm(Tele), approx.13/32inch(Wide), approx.31 1/2inch(Tele)
- IRIS DIAPHRAGM
- 6 blades
- OPTICAL ZOOM
- CLEAR IMAGE ZOOM
- 4K : 30x HD : 40x
- DIGITAL ZOOM
- VIEWFINDER TYPE
- 0.6cm(0.24 type)/Color 1 555 200dots equivalent
- FIELD OF VIEW
- DIOPTER ADJUSTMENT
- Yes (-4.0 to +3.0 mstyle name="sup"-1/style)
- SCREEN TYPE
- 7.5cm(3.0 type) Xtra Fine LCD™ display(921 600dots) Wide(16:9)
- TOUCH PANEL
- BRIGHTNESS CONTROL
- MARKER/GRID DISPLAY
- Grid Line
- ANGLE ADJUSTMENT
- Opening Angle:max.90 deg., Turning Angle:max.270 deg.
- IMAGE STABILISATION TYPE
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot w/ Intelligent Active mode(5-axis)
- FOCUS TYPE
- Contrast AF
- FOCUS MODE
- Auto/Manual(Touch Panel/Ring)
- FOCUS AREA
- Full range Focus/Spot Focus
- FAST INTELLIGENT AF
- LOCK-ON AF
- MANUAL FOCUS ASSIST
- Magnified display for precise manual focus, Peaking Display
- Auto, Flexible Spot(Touch Panel), Manual(Menu/Ring)
- METERING MODES
- EXPOSURE COMPENSATION
- AE Shift(Touch Panel/Ring)
- LOW LUX MODE
- AUTO IRIS CONTROL
- MANUAL IRIS CONTROL
- MANUAL EXPOSURE ASSIST
- Zebra Pattern Display
- BACKLIGHT COMPENSATION
- GAIN CONTROL
- AGC LIMIT
- MINIMUM ILLUMINATION
- 4K:Standard:9 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed) HD:Standard:6 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed), 4K:Low Lux 1.8lux(1/25 Shutter Speed) HD:Low Lux 1.2lux(1/25 Shutter Speed), NightShot:0 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed)
- AUTO CONTROL RANGE
- MANUAL IRIS CONTROL (PHOTO MODE)
- MANUAL SHUTTER
- SMOOTH SLOW
- WHITE BALANCE MODES
- WHITE BALANCE SHIFT
- FLASH METERING SYSTEM
- Pre-flash TTL
- FLASH COMPENSATION
- Yes(3 steps)
- FLASH MODE
- MEDIA TYPE
- XAVC S 4K(100Mbps): SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over, UHS-I U3 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I U3 or Higher), XAVC S 4K(60Mbps): SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over, Class10 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher), XAVC S HD: SDHC Memory Card(4GB or over, Class10 or Higher)/SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher), AVCHD, Still: Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class 4 or Higher)
- RECORDING FORMAT (VIDEO)
- XAVC S format:MPEG4-AVC/H.264, AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- VIDEO RESOLUTION
- XAVC S 4K : 3840x2160/25p, 24p, XAVC S HD : 1920x1080/50p, 25p, 24p, AVCHD : 1920x1080/50p(PS), 25p(FX, FH), 24p(FX, FH), 50i(FX, FH), 1440x1080/50i(HQ, LP), MP4: 1280x720 25p
- VIDEO RECORDING RATE (ABR / VBR)
- XAVC S 4K: approx.100Mbps, XAVC S 4K: approx.60Mbps, XAVC S HD: approx.50Mbps, AVCHD PS:approx.28Mbps/FX:approx.24Mbps/FH:approx.17Mbps/HQ:approx.9Mbps/LP:approx.5Mbps, MP4: approx.3Mbps
- RECORDING FORMAT (STILL IMAGE)
- JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant)
- STILL IMAGE SIZE (PHOTO MODE)
- L: 16.6 Megapixels 16:9 (5440x3056), 12.5 Megapixels 4:3 (4080x3056), M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), 6.2 Megapixels 4:3 (2880x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080), 0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640x480)
- STILL IMAGE SIZE (MOVIE MODE)
- M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- STILL IMAGE SIZE (PHOTO CAPTURE)
- XAVC S 4K: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), XAVC S HD: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080), AVCHD: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- STILL IMAGE SIZE (TIME-LAPSE CAPTURE)
- 4K:L(8.3M, 3840x2160)/HD:S(2.1M, 1920x1080)
- STILL IMAGE SIZE (DUAL RECORD)
- M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9 (3840x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Built-in Zoom Microphone
- AUDIO RECORDING FORMAT
- MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch(48kHz/16bit), Dolby Digital 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1Creator, Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- MIC LEVEL CONTROL
- AUTO WIND NOISE REDUCTION
- MY VOICE CANCELING
- Monaural Speaker
- HIGH SPEED REC
- Yes(100p/1920x1080, 100/60Mbps)
- TIME-LAPSE CAPTURE
- Yes, Shooting Interval(1/2/5/10/30/60sec), Shot Number(1-999), Capture Image Size(4K:L(8.3M, 3840x2160)/HD:S(2.1M, 1920x1080)), AE Mode(AE Lock/AE Tracking)
- SCENE SELECTION
- Auto/Night Scene/Sunrise & Sunset/Fireworks/Landscape/Portrait/Spotlight/Beach/Snow
- NIGHTSHOT INFRARED SYSTEM
- TIME CODE/USER BIT
- OTHER FEATURES
- Face Detection, Cinematone, Golf Shot, Smooth Slow Rec, Fader Effect(s)(White/Black), Intelligent Auto(Portrait/Baby/Walk/Tripod/Backlight/Landscape/Spotlight/Twilight/Macro/Low light/Auto wind noise reduction), Smile Shutter(Off/Dual Capture/Always On ), Red Eye Reduction(Yes), Direct Copy
- FAST PLAYBACK
- About 5 times/10 times/30 times/60 times
- SLOW PLAYBACK
- Forward:1/5 speed, Reverse:1/2 speed
- TRIMMING PLAYBACK
- HIGHLIGHT MOVIE MAKER
- Yes, Highlight background music(Preinstalled 6 music files, Music transfer compatible
- MOTION SHOT VIDEO
- SLIDE SHOW (STILL IMAGE)
- Slide Show
- Yes(Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band) )
- Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- LIVE STREAMING
- MULTI CAMERA CONTROL
Terminal / Shoe
- ACCESSORY SHOE
- Yes(Multi Interface Shoe)
- HDMI TERMINAL
- Yes (HDMI micro)
- MULTI/MICRO USB TERMINAL
- REMOTE TERMINAL
- integrated into Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- STD OUTPUT
- Composite Video Out(AV CABLE(sold separately))
- MICROPHONE INPUT
- Stereo Minijack
- HEADPHONE JACK
- Stereo Minijack
- MEMORY CARD SLOT
- Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- DC IN
- BATTERY TYPE
- InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (V Series)
- POWER CONSUMPTION (LCD)
- POWER CONSUMPTION (VIEWFINDER)
- POWER REQUIREMENTS
- 6.8V/7.3V(battery pack), 8.4V (AC Adaptor)
- CHARGE ON CAMCORDER(CHARGING TIME WITH SUPPLIED BATTERY)
- Yes(approx. 3h 25min)
- USB CHARGING
- DC 5V 1500mA
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (INCLUDING SUPPLIED BATTERY)
- Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 161mm(Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 166.5mm(NP-FV70)/Approx.73mm x 80.5mm x 173mm(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery), Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 3/8inch(Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 5/8inch(NP-FV70)/Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/4inch x 6 7/8inch(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery)
- WEIGHT (MAIN UNIT ONLY)
- Approx.535g, Approx.1lb 2.9oz
- WEIGHT (INCLUDING SUPPLIED BATTERY)
- Approx.585g(NP-FV50A), Approx.635g(NP-FV70)/Approx.625g(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery), Approx.680g(NP-FV100A), Approx.1lb 4.6oz(NP-FV50A), Approx.1lb 6.4oz(NP-FV70)/Approx.1lb 6oz(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery), Approx.1lb 8.0oz(NP-FV100A)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack(NP-FV70/NP-FV70A) (1), AC Adaptor (1), Power Cord (1), Operating Guide(1), HDMI(micro) Cable (1), micro USB Cable (1)
PRODUCT WARRANTY INFORMATION
1. What warranty comes with the goods purchased ?
All products excluding batteries sold by Orms are covered by a minimum of a one year local warranty, reckoned from the date of purchase, to protect you against manufacturing defects.
Canon IXUS, PowerShot compact cameras are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty
Canon DSLR and Mirrorless cameras are covered by a full 2 Year Warranty.
Canon video cameras including Legria and X-series are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty.
Nikon compacts excluding the Coolpix P900 are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty.
Nikon DSLR's including the CoolPix P900 and are covered by a full 2 Year Warranty.
Panasonic cameras and lenses are covered by a full 2 Year Warranty.
Fujifilm cameras are covered by a 2 Year Warranty.
SIGMA & TAMRON LENSES
Sigma and Tamron products are covered by a 3 Year Warranty.
LEXAR & SANDISK MEMORY CARDS
Lexar and Sandisk memory cards are covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Lowepro's Limited Original Owner Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship during the useful life of the product. The warranty does not cover damage caused by improper care.
USED GEAR PURCHASED FROM ORMS
All used gear sold by ORMS is supplied with a 6 Month Warranty.
2. My product has gone faulty, now what ?
Please contact our service division straight away on 021 - 469 1962 and notify them of the fault. You may also e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. If a product is defective / faulty, ORMS will replace the product within a 10 day period deemed from the date of receiving the product. ORMS will also cover the shipping costs within the borders of South Africa.
2. During the warranty period, Orms will arrange collection of the faulty item, facilitate the repair and then ship the product back to the customer, bearing all risks and costs.
Orms is not obliged to repair products that fall outside of the manufacturers warranty period, or products that are damaged accidentally, however Orms in seeking to deliver the highest standard of customer service will gladly assist the customer in having the product repaired via the network of repair agents with which Orms has business dealings.
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R1 000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
- The delivery time to city areas is usually between 2 and 4 working days*. This excludes weekends and public holidays.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed.
2. Aramex Courier Service (local)
We use Aramex couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
With sophisticated track and trace equipment, you can pinpoint exactly where your parcel is, from the moment it is dispatched by us, until it's safely handed over to you the recipient.
Your parcel is well packaged and bubble wrapped before delivery. We also fully insure your parcels contents for the journey to your door.
We charge a flat-rate for shipping and the charges are per order.
- Express Shipping to Main Cities @ R 150.00 incl. VAT (ETA of 1-2 Business Days)* - Main Cities are: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London. Other cities/towns will take more than 1-2 delivery time.
- Standard Shipping @ R 80.00 incl. VAT (ETA of 2-4 Business Days)* - To all areas.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed. This period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. The base price of R80.00 incl. VAT is for a parcel up to 10kg in Volumetric and Physical weight. Should the item/s exceed this weight, we reserve the right to increase the shipping charge accordingly.
Please Note: The above prices quoted are for ordering online through the ORMSdirect website only. A different rate will be quoted if handled manually through our camera sales department. Our delivery service only runs from Monday to Friday. Saturday morning deliveries can be done by special arrangement only and at an additional charge. Please contact email@example.com to arrange. We reserve the right to re-quote the delivery fee should this become too expensive.
3. DHL Express Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
Orms is not responsible for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please consult with your local government import office.
Privacy: Your privacy is important to us. We strive to exceed your expectations for privacy. Cross-border shipments are subject to inspection by customs authorities. We may also be called upon to provide certain order, shipment, and product information to our international carriers. Carriers may communicate such information to customs authorities for the purpose of facilitating customs clearance and compliance with local laws.
International shipments are quoted on a per order basis depending on the size and weight of the parcel shipped.
4. Collect & Collect from Orms Shop in Cape Town / Bellville
You are welcome to place your order online, pay for it and collect it from our Cape Town or Bellville branches. You will need to bring in a print out of the order for collection. Please ask for online sales on arrival.
Orms Shop - Cape Town
Shop 5, Roeland Square
Upper Canterbury Street
Gardens, Cape Town, 8001