Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens (Nikon)
Regular Price: R16,195.00
Special Price R13,395.00
The Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens - For Nikon delivers a very useful range from 24mm true wide-angle to 70mm short telephoto, useful for landscapes, interiors, portraits, street photography and much more.
- Wide-Angle 24-70mm Full-Frame Zoom Lens
- Built-In Image Stabilization
- Ultrasonic Silent Drive for Silent AF
- LD, Aspherical Elements for Sharp Images
- Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Compact (8.89 x 11.68 cm) & Lightweight (825g)
The continuous maximum aperture of f/2.8 combined with built-in Vibration Compensation image stabilization make it possible to achieve stellar results in low-light situations, while the Ultrasonic Silent Drive (USD) gives you very quiet autofocus capabilities that are ideal for shooting video.
The 24-70mm lens uses specialized high-grade glass in the three LD elements, three Glass Molded Aspherical Lenses, one Hybrid Aspherical Lens and two XR (Extra Refractive Index) glasses, for excellent image quality. Using a rounded 9-blade diaphragm, the lens delivers fine bokeh--the out-of-focus area in a photo. Moisture-resistant construction helps protect the lens from any water that comes near it. And all of this is in a compact (8.89 x 11.68cm), lightweight (825g) package that won't wear you out, even carrying it all day.
High-Speed Standard Zoom With Built-In VC (Vibration Compensation)
- World's first full-size, high-speed standard zoom with built-in VC (Vibration Compensation). Even when shooting in low-light conditions with a slow shutter speed to render sharpness, Tamron's acclaimed VC allows for stable handheld camera work, to more fully enjoy the benefits of this high-speed zoom lens.
- Uses specialized high-grade glass in the three LD elements, three Glass Molded Aspherical Lenses, one Hybrid Aspherical Lens and two XR (Extra Refractive Index) glasses, delivering top-of-the-class quality images suited to this high-grade lens. Using a rounded diaphragm, the lens achieves gorgeous blur effects.
- Features USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) to power a speedy AF drive together with a continuous manual mechanism.
- This high-speed standard zoom lens has a wide-end focal length of 24mm that expands the photographic area.
- The lens adopts the new technology including the latest optical design, VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilization and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive), all in a lighter and more compact package.
- Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent water from penetrating the lens.
VC (Vibration Compensation)
- VC (Vibration Compensation) is Tamron's proprietary image stabilization system. Tamron's VC is a three-coil system, whereby three driving coils activate the shake-compensating VC lens group electromagnetically via three steel balls. The VC lens elements are held in place only by contact with the steel balls, achieving smooth movement with little friction. This provides a stable viewfinder image with excellent tracking performance. And as the VC lens may be moved in parallel using only the motorized control, the mechanical structure has been simplified, enabling the creation of a more compact lens.
New VC System (Moving Coil Method)
- Tamron's original VC image stabilization mechanism utilized a moving magnet system whereby a heavy magnet was positioned near the moving VC lens element. In the new VC unit the positions of the magnet and the coil are reversed, because of this the VC optical lens element is attached to the coil. The new VC mechanism employs a moving coil mechanism with a lightweight coil, and the lighter coil reduces the load on the drive system. Thus, the lighter, more compact new VC unit contributes to the lens's overall light weight and compact size. Because the 24-70 mm F/2.8 Di VC USD is a high-speed zoom lens with maximum aperture of F/2.8, its VC system must drive a lens that is larger and heavier than other zooms. Therefore, the shape, size and layout of the drive coils are all designed to obtain sufficient thrust. The result is a full-size, high-speed zoom that provides the same high level of compensation effect.
About the Ultrasonic Motor
- In the ultrasonic motor, a piezoelectric element arranged in a ring formation generates ultrasonic vibrations in a metallic ring stator, and the vibration energy is used to rotate a metallic ring rotor that is attached to the stator. The rotation energy is in turn transferred from the metallic ring rotor to operate the focus lens.
In The Box
In The Box
- Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens
- Front & Rear Lens Caps
- Lens Hood
|Focal Length||24 - 70 mm|
|Camera Mount Type||Nikon F|
|Format Compatibility||35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor
DSLR (APS-C Sensor)
|Angle of View||84° - 34°
APS-C Picture Angle: 60° - 22°
|Minimum Focus Distance||38.10 cm|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||1:5|
|Filter Thread||Front: 82 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Approx. 8.89 x 11.68 cm|
- You Get What You Pay For Review by Bryce
Build Quality Performance Value for money Recommendable
I can't think of much else to comment negatively about this lens because it's really not bad at all. Just don't think it can take as much abuse as a premium lens, it will definitely protest and you will be sorry. Tamron however give good service when you send it in for it's delinquencies.
If you need a push, I say buy it with the thought that you will eventually upgrade. This is a good place to start. (Posted on 02/02/2016)
PRODUCT WARRANTY INFORMATION
1. What warranty comes with the goods purchased ?
Canon video cameras including Legria and X-series are covered by a full 1 Year Warranty.
Nikon DSLR's including the CoolPix P900 and are covered by a full 2 Year Warranty.
Fujifilm cameras are covered by a 2 Year Warranty.
SIGMA & TAMRON LENSES
Sigma and Tamron products are covered by a 3 Year Warranty.
LEXAR & SANDISK MEMORY CARDS
Lexar and Sandisk memory cards are covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
USED GEAR PURCHASED FROM ORMS
All used gear sold by ORMS is supplied with a 6 Month Warranty.
2. My product has gone faulty, now what ?
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R1 000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
2. Aramex Courier Service (local)
We use Aramex couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
We charge a flat-rate for shipping and the charges are per order.
- Standard Shipping @ R 80.00 incl. VAT (ETA of 2-4 Business Days)* - To all areas.
3. DHL Express Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
4. Collect & Collect from Orms Shop in Cape Town / Bellville
Orms Shop - Cape Town
Shop 5, Roeland Square
Upper Canterbury Street
Gardens, Cape Town, 8001