Sell or trade in your Used Gear at Orms
Let your old gear pave the way for your new gear.
Selling or trading your used photographic gear in at Orms is a hassle-free and safe way of upgrading to the latest model or receiving some cash back for your old equipment.
At Orms, you will be offered a fair value for your Used Gear. To get your second-hand equipment valuated, you can either bring your gear in personally to one of our two stores, or you can send us a list of the items you wish to sell.
Selling or trading in your Used Gear at Orms has never been easier! Simply follow these two easy steps:
1. Bring/send in your gear
Cape Town & surrounds
If you’re based in Cape Town or the surrounding area, then bring your gear in at one of our retail locations: Orms Cape Town or Orms Bellville. We’ll inspect your gear and give you a valuation on the spot.
Outside Cape Town and rest of South Africa
Can’t visit the shop in person? No problem. Phone our Used Gear department, on 021 469 1967 during business hours, and they will provide you with an estimate based on your description of your goods. Alternatively, you can email a list and description of your items to firstname.lastname@example.org for an estimate.
If you are happy with the estimate, then courier your equipment to the physical address below. Remember to package your items safely, and make sure your shipment is insured. The last step is very important, as Orms can not accept responsibility for damage incurred to your items during shipping - please see the terms and conditions. Please include your name, contact number and a certified copy of your ID, inside the package.
Courier your gear to:
Orms Pro Photo Warehouse
Attn: Used Gear Department
Shop 5, Roeland Square, Corner of Roeland Street and Upper Canterbury Street, Cape Town, 7925.
Contact: 021 465 3573
Can’t make it to the post office or courier company? We’ve got you covered. For a nominal fee, we can have our couriers collect the goods from your home or office. As mentioned before, please remember to package your items safely.
Once we receive and inspect your used gear, we will contact you with an official quote.
2. Receive payment
If you are happy with our quotation, you can choose to be paid via one of the following ways:
- Trade-in credit for use on new equipment
- Electronic transfer into your bank account (Payments may take 7 to 10 days to clear)
- Orms Gift Vouchers
By law, the trade in or sale of used products in South Africa requires proof of identity. If you visit our store with your Used Gear, please remember to bring your South-African ID, South-African Driver’s license or Passport document along. If you are sending your items to us, please include a certified copy of your identification document.
We’ll also need a few other details, such as your residential address, but we’ll take these down in the store or when you contact us.
Our Used Gear warranty and rating system
All Used Gear we sell is tested and sold in working order and is covered by a 6 month warranty.
We work on a rating system. Ranging from 10-5, usually anything below that we do not buy in. We rate the equipment according to the following cosmetic scale:
Pre-owned equipment, but appears as new.
Shows little or no signs of wear.
Shows signs of use, but very clean.
Shows moderate wear or finish marks.
Well used - may exhibit "dings", finish marks.
Shows considerable amount of use.
The technicians also check if there is no sand / grit in the lenses or bodies. The condition of the viewfinder and sensor also gets checked out. They run through general functions of the camera to make sure it’s working properly. The memory card readers are checked and connections to the board will be tested. Basic functions such as the pop up flash, USB transfer, LCD screen, batteries and chargers will also be checked.
The accessories included with the camera also gets taken into account.
Tips and advice for selling or trading in your Used Gear
- Remember your battery and charger - we can’t accept used cameras without these accessories.
- Look after your equipment, and keep it clean.
- While we do not pay higher prices for lens filters, lenses protected by filters might show less signs of wear and stay cleaner for longer.
- Whenever possible, trade your gear in before updated models become available.
- Subscribe to our newsletter and we will let you know when a new item is being launched.
Terms and Conditions
- The price we quote is valid for up to 14 days.
- We only trade in digital SLR’s and digital SLR lenses. No point-and-shoot cameras.
- A Higher value for your gear will be considered upon trading in towards new or used gear.
- Your equipment will be inspected in the order that it was received.
- If the description you provided is accurate, we will transfer the funds into your bank account. If we find that the condition of your equipment is not as you described, we will contact you to modify or rescind our offer and explain the reason for doing so.
- If we do not reach an agreement, we will immediately return your equipment at our expense, fully insured.
- Orms, or its employees, does not accept any responsibility for damage to your equipment, malfunction of your equipment or loss of equipment that occurred during transit.
- Upon arrival at Orms, your equipment will be inspected immediately, and if any damage or malfunction is found, we will contact you.