The Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 Macro G OSS II Lens introduces notable performance upgrades while reducing the length and physical size. These upgrades include autofocus, stabilisation, magnification, and sharpness.
The latest version of the Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 Lens is perfect for portraiture, sport, and events with the newest version expanding its capabilities into video and macro applications.
Improved Optical Performance
The biggest and most notable optical change in the Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 Macro G OSS II Lens (Sony E) is the inclusion of a floating focusing element, enabling the lens high-resolution .5x "half-macro" magnification, shrinking the minimum focusing distance to 26cm at 70mm.
You will also find increased resolution across the zoom range and the corner-to-corner sharpness is also improved. The lens features aspherical, Advanced Aspherical, Super Extra-low dispersion, and extra-low dispersion aspherical elements to reduce and suppress chromatic and spherical aberrations.
Additionally, featuring a Nano AR Coating II that assists in controlling flare and ghosting, while a soft and smooth bokeh is achieved with the nine-bladed rounded diaphragm.
Faster, Video-Optimized Autofocus
One of the biggest enhancements featured in the new Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 Macro G OSS II Lens is the faster, video-optimised autofocus system. The 4 XD Linear motors, two for each of the lens focus groups enable the lens now to perform focus tracking while zooming and the lens is notably faster than the predecessor. The new autofocus system also works with the Alpha 1's blackout-free 30 fps high-speed continuous shooting.
The new autofocus system has near-silent operation while dramatically reducing focus breathing and focus shift. The Linear Response MF system to ensures a consistent, natural-feeling operation, while the full-time Direct Manual Focus (DMF) feature makes it easy to make quick adjustments using the focus ring while in AF modes.
Faster, Video-Optimized Autofocus
In the development process of this lens, Sony also focussed on the endurance of the lens and the user, thus reducing both the weight and length making it easier to work with every day.
The internal zoom mechanism reduces the weight to the front, this reduces strain while focusing in a handheld orientation.
- A removable and rotating tripod collar for added stability and reducing strain on the camera's lens mount.
- Three focus hold buttons and an AF/MF switch on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Three-mode optical image stabilization switch to ensure sharpness in varying shooting conditions.
- A full-time DMF switch for manual focus override during AF-C mode.
- Zoom lock and focus range limiter switches to prevent unwanted lens extension or to constrain the usable focus range between a set limited range or full for improving focus speed.
- A fluorine coating for the front lens element to repel water, oil, and other contaminants and facilitate lens-cleaning.
The Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 Macro G OSS II Lens is fully compatible with Sony's FE (not included) 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters. These teleconverters allow for life-size, 1:1 macro photography throughout the entire zoom range.
With the 1.4x teleconverter, you will find an effective focal length of 98-280mm F/5.6, and with the 2.0x converter an effective focal length of 140-400mm f/8 is achieved.
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 Macro G OSS II Lens (Sony E)
- Sony ALC-F72S 72mm Front Lens Cap
- Sony ALC-R1EM Rear Lens Cap
- Sony ALC-SH176 Lens Hood
|70 to 200mm
|Lens Format Coverage
|Angle of View
|34° to 12° 30'
|Minimum Focus Distance
|19 Elements in 13 Groups
|Removable and Rotating
|72 mm (Front)
|Dimensions (ø x L)
|82.2 x 149 mm