The Sony HVL-F43M is an external flash for all Sony camera's with a Multi Interface Shoe, such as the latest SLT, NEX, and R-series cameras. The flash features a strong guide number of 43m (at ISO100 and 105 mm), Quick Shift Bounce, wireless flash operation, and a built-in 400 lux video LED.
Quick Shift Bounce
Sony's original flash head rotating mechanism allows the flash to pivot 90 degrees left and right in addition to up and down, so you can switch between landscape and portrait position compositions while the flash maintains the same bounce angle and light distribution. Because the LCD panel and buttons rotate together with the flash head, control is easy even for vertical composition.
Video LED Light
Cool running and energy efficient, the LED light enables you to create natural lighting and shadows. Effective for both movies and stills, the LED light can be augmented by filters and diffusers for color temperature adjustment and visual effects with a high power of 400 lux at 1.64 ft, adjustable in 10 levels.
Quick Navi Interface
Sony's Quick Navi control interface provides easy, intuitive access to lighting parameters on a high-visibility dot matrix LCD panel. Everything you need to know is right there on the screen and accessible using a few buttons and control wheel, thereby minimizing the necessary operations required to adjust settings before you shoot.
Wireless multi flash ratio control
When used with Sony -series cameras, up to three groups of flash units can be used simultaneously with the "control" flash wirelessly controlling the light ratios of the "remote" flashes. Rather than having to adjust the output level on each flash unit individually, you can simply set the desired light output ratio via the control flash interface.
Dust and moisture-resistant design
To ensure reliability even in challenging conditions such as outdoor wilderness situations, specially designed seals at joints around the body, LCD panel, mounting foot, and moving parts keep dust and moisture out. This is a particular bonus in outdoor usage where you have no control over various factors including wind and environmental dust.
High-speed sync (HSS)
Take advantage of high-shutter-speed Auto shooting. Whereas conventional sync shooting required that the shutter speed be the same as or slower than the synced flash speed, the aperture would be narrowed, making it difficult to gain background bokeh effects. But with high-speed sync (HSS) you can use flash with any shutter speed, even up to the highest shutter speed provided by the camera. This allows you to increase the aperture as needed to create a narrow depth of field that keeps your subject in perfect focus while the background blurs, for beautiful portraits. Wireless high-speed sync is also possible with compatible cameras.
Through-the-Lens (TTL) wireless flash
Integrated operation with the camera, with the freedom of wireless. You can position and direct the flash exactly as you want. Use this high flexibility to reduce the intensity of shadows, avoid halation, and add soft shadows that bring out a sense of depth and presence. Syncing is possible at all shutter speeds to make wireless high-speed sync possible.
Test flash mode
The test flash mode enables you to check shadows on the subject before taking photos, and also to check the light level using an external flash meter, which is essential for studio photography. The light level of the test flash depends on the light level setting in manual flash (M) mode, and the flash unit fires with a light level of 1/1 in through-the-lens (TTL) mode.
Advanced Distance Integration (ADI)
ADI provides automatic metering that is virtually unaffected by the reflectance of subjects or backgrounds, maintaining correct exposure even with overly reflective or overly dark subjects. It pre-flashes the unit to incorporate the reflected light measurement, together with precise distance information from a compatible camera's lens, to achieve the optimum flash level (E-mount not supported).
Auto Zoom Control Optimized for image sensor size
This function automatically optimizes the illumination angle to match the camera's image sensor size, minimizing light fall-off at the image periphery. The flash coverage required for cameras using 35-mm full frame and APS-C size image sensors differ substantially, and this intelligent function automatically provides the optimum flash coverage for each.
Multi Interface Shoe
This product is designed for use with cameras featuring a Multi Interface Shoe flash. An optional shoe adaptor is available for use with older Sony/Minolta cameras utilising the autolock shoe.
Auto White Balance AdjustmentColour temperature varies according to the environment you're shooting in, and the color temperature of a flash should match that of the ambient light to look natural. With this intelligent function, color temperature information is transferred from the flash unit to the camera for correct White Balance setting, thereby enabling more natural-looking flash photography.
- Sony HVL-F43M Flash
- Terminal Protector Cap
- Carrying Case
- Cycle time/frequency (approx.) (based on Sony measurement), Alkaline battery
- More than 200 times/0.1–2.9 s
- Cycle time/frequency (approx.) (based on Sony measurement), Ni-MH battery
- More than 250 times/0.1–2.2 s
- Cycle time/frequency (approx.) (based on Sony measurement), Lithium battery
- Not compatible
- Flash Coverage
- Covers the field of view at focal lengths 24-105 mm. Automatically switched at changes in focal length. Manual switching possible (at 24/28/35/50/70/105 mm focal length). Covers the field of view at 15 mm focal length with wide panel attached.
- Quick Shift Bounce flash
- Continuous Flash
- 10 flashes/second, total 40 flashes (1/32 power level, with Ni-MH battery)
- AF Illuminator Range
- Approx. 0.5–6 m (based on Sony measurement)
- Flash Control
- Pre-flash control (P-TTL/ADI), manual flash control selectable, direct TTL flash metering
- Multiple Flash
- Available when used in the M-mode of the camera (Frequency: 1-100 Hz, No. of burst: 2-100 times)
- Wireless Flash
- Available as wireless flash controller/off-camera flash
- Wireless flash ratio control
- 3 flash-unit groups: A (attached to the camera), B and C. Flash ratio control: A(1-16), B(1-16), C(1-16)
- External Off-camera Terminal
- Test Flash
- Available with test flash button
- Modeling Flash
- Available with test flash button (Two types: 2 Hz/3 times, 40 Hz/4 sec.)
- Auto white balance
- Available (except the α100)
- Auto Zoom Control Optimized for Image Sensor Size
- Available (except the α100)
- Flash Compensation
- Available (not only body operation, but also flush operation)
- Power Source
- 4x AA-size batteries (Alkaline/Ni-MH)
- Dust and Moisture Resistant
- Designed to be dust- and moisture-resistant
- Center luminance Intensity
- Approx. 400 lx (0.5 m)/100 lx (1 m) (w/o Built-in Diffuser for LED Light, w/o Color Conversion Filter for LED Light)
- Lighting distance
- Approx. 1 m (ISO3200/F5.6 Movie mode, w/o Built-in Diffuser for LED Light, w/o Color Conversion Filter for LED Light)
- Continuous lighting time
- Approx. 4 hours (with 4x AA-size Sony Alkaline batteries)
- Color temperature
- Approx. 5500K (w/o Built-in Diffuser for LED Light, w/o Color Conversion Filter for LED Light)
What's In The Box
- Carrying Case(1)
- Connector Protect Cap(1)